Friday, June 24, 2016

An Abundance of Katherine's by John Green

 Green, J. (2006). An abundance of katherines. New York, NY: Speak.

Collin has just graduated from high school and is ready for what the world has in store for him. Unfortunately it isn't the same for Collin's girlfriend Katherine. Katherine the 19th, as he calls her because she is the 19th Katherine he has dated in his short life, has just dumped him on graduation night and he is at a loss of what to do. His friend Hassan has suggested they go on a road trip, and it leads them into Tennessee. While there they meet a girl named Lindsey and get hired to work for her mom, the town's main source of income. While there, Collin works to find an equation that can predict when a break-up will occur. With the help of Lindsey and Hassan, Collin finds his equation, and finds love as well.

Personally, I did not enjoy the book. I am a John Green fan, but this novel didn't do it for me because I couldn't relate to the main character, so I didn't feel any sympathy towards him. The intended audience is young adults, but I wouldn't suggest using it for a whole-class read unless you can find a way to make this novel connect to your students. It does have value in that Collin is a character who is reflective and uses knowledge to support his thoughts, but I do not see this becoming a novel that teachers would be able to pull resources to connect with.

I rate this book a 2 out of 5.



No comments:

Post a Comment