Wednesday, July 13, 2016

"I'll Give You The Sun" by Jandy Nelson

 Nelson, J. (2014). I'll give you the sun. New York, NY: Dial Books.

Jude and Noah are twins, look nothing alike though, but have an undeniable connection that only twins can have. Both are unique in their own ways: Noah seeps art from his pores, and Jude seems to breath air into everything and everyone she comes into contact with, but they see each other as competition nonetheless. It is through their eyes, the novel is divided into chapters narrated by both siblings, that we see how their lives and their relationship came apart. Through their narrations we see how this one family has gone through hell and back, and we see how fate brings them back together again in the end. 

What can I say about "I'll Give You The Sun" except that it did give me just that. Throughout the novel we hear from 13-year-old Noah and 16-year-old Jude and just hearing how they complete each other gives you goosebumps. It is written beautifully, and I believe that the target audience would be young adults 14 and up because of the topics discussed such as suicide, divorce, individuality, sex, and homosexuality. It is a wonderful novel to bring in topics such as being proud of who you are and accepting what makes you and individual. 

I rate this book a 5 out of 5 stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment