Sunday, March 12, 2017

Screencasts, Instagrams, and Flipagrams

In doing this project, I was little nervous when it came to trying new things (Flipagrams and Screencasts). Since I have an Instagram, it wasn't so scary, but I felt that I was a little overwhelmed in trying something different. Because of this, I decided to start with Instagram:

Instagram:

I do like Instagram, and to be honest before this I didn't really think about using it in the classroom, but I did find that it is a great way to showcase student work. That's what I decided to do with it this time around. My kids made QR Code Bookmarks that revolved around a self-selected book they read, and many did a great job, so I wanted a way to showcase their work and Instagram did it for me!


Book Suggestions Instagram

Flipagram:

I really enjoyed reading the blog by Mr. Parkinsonict  when he suggested using Flipagram to showcase what students were reading. I decided to try it with a few projects my students did instead, but I feel that this is something I want to continue to not only see what popular books are being read, but to also making sure our students are following our classroom procedures in having a book with them to reading during our silent sustained reading time.

Reading Projects 2015

Screencast-o-matic:

The first time I ever came across a screencast was during my time as an SHSU student. One of my professors used it to show us how to create a MARC record, and I must say that it was very helpful for me. I feel that this would be great to incorporate in the classroom in order to show students how to create using certain websites or apps. Personally, I have had to sit down with each class to show them how to create their Edublogs, Animoto, and Padlet accounts, and doing multiple times a day can get redundant, so I feel that by creating a screencast-o-matic the students and I will be able to work better. I feel that while this is playing I can help students problem-solve should they need me rather than just being up by the projector explaining it and having to trouble-shoot at the same time. I decided to show how to create a QR code since we did do this as one of our class projects.

How to Make a QR Code Video



Introduction to Me Reading Video














How to Create a QR Code Video 

Last Thoughts:

I enjoyed each of these apps, but I feel that my favorite was the Flipagram because I feel this is the one that I would use the most in class. I feel that my students would feel most comfortable using this as well, and although I did find that the screencast-o-matic is useful, I feel that this is something that I would be using less often than the Flipagram. One thing is sure though, I did feel proud to have tried new things, and see that I am able to take away from the experience to share with my kids!

4 comments:

  1. I agree that teaching the same thing over and over can be tiring. Have an option of creating a screencast can be very beneficial for both us and our students. Students can refer to a screencast multiple times and the librarian can be freed up to assist students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your Flipagram of student projects. This is a great way to showcase student work, and you can show next year's students examples from previous years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it great to be pushed to try new things and realize we can be successful! I'm totally having to take a chance with these assignments and step out of my comfort zone. By the way...I LOVE your polka dot background!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked learning about the Screencast-o-matic. There are many library skills that can be created on this allowing students to view directions, skills, or any library activity numerous times. This allows a librarian to work with other students on other skills and past skills or everyday skills can be referred to as needed. This benefits the library, librarian, and students. Flipagram was fun too. I can see students creating flipagrams to support assignments and activities, they love pictures and videos. Cynthia Burvato

    ReplyDelete