Saturday, April 1, 2017

Cartoons and Comics

This week we are looking at Comics and Cartoons and how we can incorporate them in our schools. I was able to check out three websites: ToonDoo, Pixton, and MakeBeliefsComix.

ToonDoo: I have created a ToonDoo before, and since then I feel that it has expanded on adding more selections to use. I think the kids will enjoy choosing what to incorporate in each panel. I was able to show some vocabulary words on The Giver since this is what we are reading in my classroom. I feel that it was fairly easy to use, I just had to get reacquainted with the icons, but I feel this was one of the best to use. Here is the example:


MakeBeliefsComix: This was my first time using this website. I felt that out of the three this was the easiest to use. It was very simple and to the point, all it took was a drag and drop. There were also different options to use, and I know the kids do enjoy having choice in the mix. Here is my example:

Finally we have a Pixton: I felt this one was the most difficult for me because I didn't find it to be very Mac-Friendly. As I was editing I wasn't able to scroll down easily, so you will see the mistakes I made. I think the kids would like building from a template and seeing all the examples that are there, but I felt it was better used as a launching point while the other two are good for creating from the bare-bones. Here is my example:




I think adding Comics and Cartoons in the classroom is very helpful, especially to pair with novels. I feel that students would be able to add more to their work than I did, especially because they like to customize things, so it would be worth giving a try!

3 comments:

  1. Building vocabulary using comics is a great idea. Love all of your comics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea of using comic strips to teach vocabulary. I enjoyed reading your comics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I teach first grade and I have students draw a picture for every vocabulary word introduced. Creating a comic for vocabulary words would be great for visual learners.

    ReplyDelete